Venice YouthBuild is a comprehensive program providing education, job training and leadership development services to out-of-school and out-of-work youth, ages 18-24. The students work towards earning their high school diploma or equivalent and job training certificates.
Note: VCH is no longer accepting applications for Venice YouthBuild.
Venice YouthBuild offers:
- Individualized High School Instruction- at VCH’s on-site John Muir Charter School, giving participants an opportunity to earn their high school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Job Skills- teaching students basic construction skills and safety practices. All students work to earn their Pre-Apprenticeship Construction Training (PACT) Certification, a construction industry recognized credential
- Work Experience- students experience hands-on valuable work experience on local affordable housing construction sites
- Leadership Development and Community Service- projects allow students to help participate in their communities. All participants are AmeriCorps members and work to earn the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
- Career & Higher Education Guidance- helping participants and alumni into careers and higher education placement through career counseling, job readiness training, and job placement
Venice YouthBuild is a part of the national YouthBuild USA model. Venice Community Housing adopted the YouthBuild USA model in 2000.
Venice YouthBuild was developed out of a community need for youth programming. VCH offered on-site construction training to local young people at the site of our Tabor Courts property. In doing so, VCH was the first organization to offer a job training program in connection with the creation of affordable housing, funded by the LA Housing Department.
For questions regarding Venice YouthBuild, please contact Marisol Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310)573-8415.