Westminster TLC- Program Assistant
Venice Community Housing’s mission is to preserve the economic, racial and social diversity of Venice and the surrounding area by maximizing affordable housing and economic development opportunities and providing needed social services to the area’s low-income population.
The Westminster TLC Program provides high-quality, short-term housing to homeless women and their children. TLC provides crisis and bridge housing and supportive services while families identify options for permanent housing. The 32-bed building has room for up to eight families, with 2 to 4 members each. While living at TLC, women have access to case management support, assistance in securing permanent housing, and voluntary, on-site educational programs and services including computer classes, tutoring, money management and budgeting, internships, job readiness assistance, parenting classes, and others.
TLC is operated in partnership with Housing Options for People to Excel (HOPE), an organization dedicated to assisting mothers and their children in the transition from homelessness to self-sufficiency.
The Program Assistant, under the direction of the Program Manager, conducts follow-up and alumni services, provides housing resource referrals and assistance, coordinates activities for children and adults, coordinates volunteers, conducts room inspections, and helps organize program materials and supplies.
• Research permanent housing resources for residents, provide referrals and assistance with search and application.
• Provide follow-up services for residents at periodic intervals for at least one year after exit.
• Coordinate resources and program connections for program alumni, including bringing alumni back as speakers, mentors, and coaches for current residents.
• Conduct workshops for adults and children
• Assist in the direct supervision and care of residents’ children, especially those under five years old, including: monitoring safety, leading engaging activities, providing snacks, and sign-in/sign-out.
• Clean all areas of child care activities after program, including kitchen, indoor and outdoor program spaces, and arts and crafts.
• Continue to engage in professional development.
• Take regular inventory of program supplies, including snacks, materials for activities, cleaning supplies, laundry soaps, toys, office supplies, etc. Assist in maintaining storage of program supplies.
• Conduct weekly room inspections on resident units, including completion of written feedback forms for residents and report to Program Manager.
• Provide modeling and instruction of home care life skills as needed with particular clients.
• Coordinate cleaning and preparation of units during turnover.
• Participate in occasional activities or outings, including assisting in the planning and
• Assist with transportation, as needed.
• Other duties as required.
• At least one to two years of experience providing social services, preferably with
families experiencing homelessness.
• At least one year of experience supervising children in a child care setting.
• Completion of units in Early Childhood Education and/or Child Development or willingness
to enroll in continuing education in such a program.
• Bilingual Spanish-speaking preferred.
• Must pass a criminal and driving background checks. Valid California driver’s license.
Job frequently requires sitting for extended periods of time, entering data into a computer and handling
objects with hands. Job occasionally requires standing, walking, going up and down stairs, reaching,
talking, hearing, and lifting up to 25 pounds. Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print
$15.00/hour, 20 hours per week. This is a non-exempt position.
Please email your résumé with a cover letter describing your qualifications to:
email@example.com. You can also fax your résumé to (310) 399-1130 or mail it to Venice Community
Housing, 720 Rose Avenue, Venice, CA 90291.