Venice YouthBuild is a comprehensive program providing education, job training and leadership development services to out-of-school and out-of-work youth, ages 18-24. The students work towards earning their high school diploma or equivalent and job training certificates.
Our Advisory Board
Santa Monica College EOPS/CARE
Debra Joseph-Locke, Ed.D.
Eddie De La Riva
Venice YouthBuild offers:
- Individualized High School Instruction- at VCH’s on-site John Muir Charter School, giving participants an opportunity to earn their high school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Job Skills- teaching students basic construction skills and safety practices. All students work to earn their Pre-Apprenticeship Construction Training (PACT) Certification, a construction industry recognized credential
- Work Experience- students experience hands-on valuable work experience on local affordable housing construction sites
- Leadership Development and Community Service- projects allow students to help participate in their communities. All participants are AmeriCorps members and work to earn the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
- Career & Higher Education Guidance- helping participants and alumni into careers and higher education placement through career counseling, job readiness training, and job placement
Venice YouthBuild is a part of the national YouthBuild USA model. Venice Community Housing adopted the YouthBuild USA model in 2000.
Venice YouthBuild was developed out of a community need following the 1994 Venice Gang Wars. Gang warfare between members of V-13 and the Shoreline Crips left 17 dead and 55 wounded. VCH offered on-site construction training to 5 members of each rival gang at the site of our Tabor Courts property. In doing so, VCH was the first organization to offer a job training program in connection with the creation of affordable housing, funded by the LA Housing Department.
This project received $1,100,000 (50% of its total cost) from a grant awarded for 2013 – 2016 under the YouthBuild Training grant as implemented by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration.
For questions regarding Venice YouthBuild, please contact YouthBuild Administrative Coordinator, Marisol Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310)573-8415.