Careers at VCH
Director of Asset Management
Venice Community Housing (VCH) is a community based, nonprofit organization engaged in a variety of housing and community development programs. VCH owns and manages 226 units of affordable, supportive and bridge housing, and is in a period of growth with an additional 175 units in the predevelopment stage.
The Director of Asset Management is responsible for maintaining fiscal, physical and regulatory compliance for all VCH properties. VCH’s portfolio consists of 17 properties with 20 buildings composed of 131 units of affordable housing, 77 units of supportive housing and 18 units of bridge housing, administrative and program space, and four commercial units. The department provides property management services for all properties within the portfolio. He/she will lead of team of Resident and off-site Property Managers, a Resident Manager Supervisor and Occupancy Specialist, a Maintenance Supervisor and two Maintenance Workers. The Director and the team will also work collaboratively with VCH’s Resident Services team to implement an integrated supportive housing model. The Director of Asset Management is a member of the senior management team and reports to the Executive Director.
1) Asset Management/Regulatory Compliance
a) Responsible for the present and future condition of all physical assets
b) Oversees physical needs assessments and capital needs plans
c) Prepares and monitors annual budgets for each property and partnership entity within the department
d) Insures that all internal and regulatory agency reports/budgets/financials are submitted as required
e) Ensures all operating and replacement reserves are funded as required
f) Oversees annual inspections on all affordable housing units and properties
g) Submits annual Welfare Exemption applications for all properties and works with the Assessor’s Office to resolve issues concerning property welfare exemptions
h) Works with the Director of Operations to insure that all Risk Management obligations are covered
i) Ensures that properties are prepared for and compliant with inspections from SCEP, HACLA, LA County Health Department and our many funding partners
j) Creates property management plans for each development as well as management agreements where required
2) Property Management
a) Oversees all property management functions and staff for 208 units of affordable and supportive housing as well as commercial leases
b) Determines annual rent increases based on federal guidelines and regulatory agreements
c) Ensures that required annual re-certifications are completed for all low-income tenants
d) Works collaboratively with Resident Services team, and ensures eviction is the last possible resort
e) Interacts with various agencies such as Housing Authorities and resolves issues
f) Works with team members to ensure that rent delinquencies are kept to a minimum
g) Determines and documents policies and procedures for the Property Management Department
a) Supervises the Maintenance Manager to ensure that all maintenance repairs and unit turnovers are completed in a safe and timely manner
b) Ensures that all property repairs are performed according to all applicable building codes
c) Works with maintenance staff on all repairs beyond scope of normal maintenance activities
4) Other duties as required
The Director of Asset Management will be an experienced leader with the following or equivalent experience and qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in accounting, urban planning, real estate finance, public administration, or other related field
• Five years of experience working within an affordable housing organization with tax credit properties including two years in a management /supervisory position
• Experience in preparing and monitoring detailed operating budgets and other reports for Tax Credit properties, or similar rental housing projects.
• Substantial experience in financial analysis and demonstrated knowledge of fair housing laws required.
• Excellent writing and effective verbal communication skills, and demonstrated cultural competence.
• Experience developing and managing department budgets and supervising multiple staff.
• Exceptional leadership, organizational, and communication skills. Able to work as an effective member of a team and in collaborative manner with staff, peers, and supervisor.
• Knowledge or experience utilizing property management software and information systems.
• Must be proficient in Outlook, Excel and Word.
• Must pass criminal and driving background checks. Valid California driver’s license and have access to reliable transportation in order to travel to off-site properties, meetings, trainings, and events.
• Mission-driven individual.
Depends on experience and qualifications; plus benefits include medical, dental, vision, life, Aflac, 403 (b), vacation, sick time, 12 holidays and 2 personal days. This is a full-time, exempt position.
Job frequently requires sitting for extended periods of time entering data into a computer and handling objects with hands, Job occasionally requires standing, walking, climbing stairs, reaching, talking, hearing, and lifting up to 25 pounds. Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Please email your resume with a cover letter describing your qualifications to Human Resources at: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also fax your resume to (310) 399-1130 or mail it to Venice Community Housing Corporation, 720 Rose Avenue, Venice, CA 90291. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
VENICE COMMUNITY HOUSING CORPORATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER