YouthBuild Part-Time or Full Time Construction Trainer
Venice Community Housing Corporation’s mission is to preserve the economic, racial and social diversity of Venice and the surrounding area by maximizing affordable housing and economic development opportunities and providing needed social services to the area’s low-income population.
Venice YouthBuild is an ongoing, comprehensive education and job training program that brings together individualized high school instruction, vocational training, career placement and counseling to help at-risk youth, ages 17 to 24, gain high school diplomas and job skills to transition into healthy, self-sufficient adulthoods.
The Construction Trainer reports directly to the Construction Manager. He/she is responsible for on-the-job training for at-risk young adults ages 18-24. Trainees receive paid, on-the-job construction skills training on affordable housing projects owned by VCH or by another organization.
- Supervise and teach 10-16 youth skills in the construction and building trades, including but not limited to framing, drywall, rough and finish carpentry, painting, use of tools, safety and other relevant skills.
- Responsible for implementing and/or creating a structured curriculum teaching basic construction skills, to be used prior and in between job assignments.
- Conduct weekly evaluations, share feedback with trainees and make recommendations for salary increases for trainees.
- Teach construction skills through demonstrations, ensure safety of youth, and set standards for appropriate behavior for youth while on the job site.
- Track attendance and submit timesheets on a daily basis to the YouthBuild Construction Manager.
- Enforce YouthBuild program policies and procedures, including holding youth accountable for violating policies and communicating to support staff for follow up services.
- Conduct construction voc-ed sessions and projects in woodshop on program site.
- Participate in program planning, recruitment, orientation, and case review of youth, as needed.
- Attend weekly meetings with the YouthBuild staff, and attend staff trainings and YouthBuild conferences, including some out of town national events and monthly VCH all-staff meetings.
- Act as a mentor and positive role model to at-risk youth in the program and assist in job placement for eligible students.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience in building rehabilitation and construction, including plan reading, material estimating, supervising crews, general knowledge of carpentry, electrical, plumbing and other trades.
- Desire and aptitude for working with youth 18-24 years preferred; prior experience with a YouthBuild program as a Trainer or Graduate a PLUS.
- Must pass criminal and driving background checks.
- Valid California driver’s license.
- Class B license with passenger endorsement or willing to get obtain a Class B license within 6 months.
- Excellent communication skills and be able to work well with youth, staff, and community partners.
- Candidate must be computer literate.
$33,000-$36,000 annually depending on experience and qualifications. This could be a part-time or full-time position. Full-time employees receive benefits package including medical, dental, life, 403 (b), Aflac, vacation, sick time, 12 holidays and 2 personal days.
Please email your resume with a cover letter describing your qualifications to the Director of Operations at: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also fax your resume to (310) 399-1130 or mail it to Venice Community Housing Corporation, 720 Rose Avenue, Venice, CA 90291. NO PHONE CALLS.
VENICE COMMUNITY HOUSING CORPORATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]